Monday, October 3, 2011

Ten Things I Am Thankful For

I think it is important to take the time to think about what we are thankful for.  Sometimes it is easy to forget when the day isn't going quite right, but we have been blessed with so many things. 

1.  My family --  I have been blessed with wonderful parents.  I am the second of six children.  I was raised in a close-knit family.  We were raised to tell each other we love them, and we mean it.  You never know when the last time will be that you will get to say that to someone you love.  Use the words, and mean it!  I hope to get to say those words to everyone in my family for many years still to come.  I have a wonderful husband that I was blessed to marry on Sept 7, 2001.  We have 3 amazing children (the 4th will be here within the next 10 days).  I look so forward to meeting our 4th child.  I am so fortunate to have the three that I have already been able to hold and love.  I hope that they know how much I love them and that I would do anything for them.  Without my family, I would surely not be the person I am today.

2.  My Heavenly Father and Jesus -- Without them I would have nothing.  I firmly believe this.  I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  We believe that Jesus Christ suffered for all of our sins that someday we can return to live with Them in Heaven, if we live correctly and repent when we do things that we shouldn't.  We believe that They love each of us regardless of choices we make.

3.  Friends --  I have wonderful friends for which I am very thankful.  They understand who I am.  They know that just because I don't show up at their house daily, weekly, or even monthly, that I do love them.  When I do get to see them, it is like no time has passed.  We catch up quickly and look forward to the next time our paths may cross.  A lot changes with children, and not in a bad way, I have just learned that I don't have the time that I did beforehand to go and visit with friends.

4.  Employment --  I am currently on leave from work.  If they need my help with anything, they know that they can give me a shout, and I will be happy to help out.  I am thankful for the opportunity I have had to work with wonderful people down in Salt Lake City.  I am thankful that my husband has a good job that he enjoys.  It is nice that he doesn't complain about the back pain he used to endure at his previous warehouse job. In this time of economic depression, it is nice to have an income.

5.  Health --  I am grateful for the good health of myself and my children.  There is nothing worse than being ill or having a sick child and not being able to do anything about it.  We have been blessed to live in an age where there have been so many medical advances.  With proper diagnosis and care, people live much longer than they used to. 

6.  Home --  There are people that don't have a place to call home.  I am thankful that I have never been one of those people.  It is nice to have a place for shelter from the elements, a place to lay my head at night, a place to cook food.  This is something that can easily be taken for granted, until it is gone.  I hope to always have a place to call home.

7.  Education--  I am grateful that I was able to receive an education.  That, at times, seemed so meaningless, especially in childhood.  There were a lot of mornings my mother had to fight with me to get me out the door and to school.  There were times she would get me to school, only to have me walk out the other set of doors, and go off and do what I wanted.  Well, I wouldn't say I really wanted to walk several miles anywhere, but I would rather do that than go to school.  Don't get me wrong, I still graduated in the top 10% of my high school class, there were just times I really didn't want to be there.  There are so many children worldwide that don't even get the chance to go to school to learn the basics... reading, writing and arithmetic.  I couldn't imagine where I would be today if I hadn't pursued my education.  Take advantage of your opportunity to learn!

8.  My Blog --  I do this blog to keep a record of (almost) daily events in the lives of my kids, my husband and I.  For so long, I tried to keep journals for everyone.  It didn't work out so well.  Maybe a few entries a year.  This has made that so much easier.  It gives an account of what we have done that day or the previous day.  It is fun for me to sit down and write about my thoughts and the happenings.  I think the children really appreciate it.  My family enjoys getting to read what we have done recently and it gives me a chance to let my friends know what is going on as well.  I am still learning the whole blogging concept, but I am enjoying every step of the way.

9.  Cars  --  You never realize how much you rely on a car, until you don't have one.  I am thankful that we have our minivan out here and my sister has her car.  My husband has been using her car to commute to work and she uses the minivan to drive to the commuter train in the morning.  I am left carless, until our car is repaired.  We are praying that it is the repair that $1000 less than the other option.  We believe that we found an honest car repair shop.  It will be nice to have a vehicle here again, especially with impending doctor's appointments.

10.  Exercise --  I have not been able to do much exercise in the past 8 months due to the pregnancy.  I am sure I could have, but I miscarried a baby on May 26, 2010, after having done some running on a treadmill.  I know that it was probably a coincidence, but I didn't want to take a chance this time.  My exercise has consisted of going for walks when I have felt up to it.  With the pemphigoid gestationis since mid June, I have not felt like it very often.  I know that after I have this little one I will be able to reinstitute my exercise regimen after I heal from the c-section.  The pregnancy is definitely worth the lack of exercise. 

What are some things you are thankful for?  This isn't an all-inclusive list by any means.  I just wanted to list ten things that came to mind.  We live in a time that sometimes makes it easier to think about everything that is wrong.  I wanted to take the time today to list things that are blessings in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment