Saturday, July 27, 2013

Couch to 5K (C25K)

My 12th anniversary will fall on a Saturday.  It is six weeks away.  As I have been going to different places, running errands and such, I have been seeing a lot of flyers for 5K races on September 7, which is my anniversary.

I have been running for a while now.  I ran eight miles this morning.  As I was running, I came up with a brilliant idea.  I have always wanted my children to grow up to run with me.  I thought it would be nice if my husband would run with me too.  I came home and told him that I thought him and the kids should start a C25K program today and that we should run a 5K on our anniversary.  Then, of course, go out to eat afterward. 

He thought that would be a good idea.  I found the www.coolrunning.com C25K program.  It was a program I started last year, when we were going to do a 4 mile run.  I do know that a 5K is not as far as a 4 mile run, but it was a place to start.  I really liked their program.  This evening, I found it online, again, and told my husband what he is supposed to do with the children.  He gathered them up and off they went.  It was a 5 minute brisk walk, followed by alternating 90 second walks and 60 seconds of jogging for a total of 20 minutes.

When he got home, I was informed that my daughter wasn't too amused to be out there doing that.  I am not sure if it is because she had performed in two theater performances today, or she just didn't want to run.  When they got home, I informed her of the plan for Sept. 7, and she seemed to be more receptive.  Now I need to decide which 5K we are going to do and get us registered.  It always seems that the earlier you register for a race, the cheaper it is to run it.

On the days that I don't have scheduled runs for the half-marathon I am training for, I will be training with my husband and my kids.  My toddler will be in the jogging stroller during the race.  I have been pushing her on several of my runs.  I am excited for this race, whichever one it ends up being.


No comments:

Post a Comment