Thursday, March 6, 2014

Money vs. Treasure

This is something I've been thinking about for a while.  I think it is common knowledge that I am not rich, monetarily.  I do have many treasures though. 

My younger brothers would sometimes be asked, "Don't you wish your parents didn't have so many kids, then you would have more stuff?"  To this, my brothers, being the two youngest, would just laugh and say they wouldn't be here if my parents didn't have so many kids.

I am one of six children.  I am the second, so perhaps, under the above theory, I would have been able to be born and I would have had more stuff.  Would I want that?  Not for all the money in the world.  I would not exchange a single one of my siblings for any amount of money.  They are my best friends in the whole world.  I couldn't imagine one minute without John, Brenda, Susan, Jim or Bob.  I couldn't imagine a minute without my parents.  My siblings have brought wonderful people into my life, through their spouses and their children.  

My last day of work, outside the home, is tomorrow.  I will be taking a pay cut, but I will be able to be at home with my children and my husband.  I will get to see them grow up.  I will get to watch ball games, go to school events, help with homework, just hangout.

Money is something that comes and goes.  It is something I have to work hard for and it doesn't stick around as long as I would like it to.  I work 40 hours a week and I get bills.  Some money gets saved, a lot goes to household expenses.  I don't need money.  I need my family, my treasures.

Treasures are things that I care about, that I can't imagine losing.  My family are my treasures.  Photos are treasures.  Time spent together is a treasure.  True friends are treasures.

My life has not felt complete since I started work.  On school days, I used to drop my kids off at school and tell them, "I will see you tomorrow."  I would get to see them for about 30 minutes a day.  That was not something I wanted.  It broke my heart, actually.

I am not sure if this is the reason I have not been healthy for the better part of three months, or if it is just coincidence.  I look so forward to turning in my badge and my time card at the end of work tomorrow.  I look forward to the moments we will get to spend together.  40 extra hours a week (at least).  When I drop the kids off, they won't be asleep the next time I see them.  I will get to see my siblings and my parents more.  I don't need to ask for time off and hope it is approved.

I am so thankful for the people in my life, for the blessings I get from having some wonderful people that care about me.  No, I am not rich, monetarily, but I have treasures beyond number!

No comments:

Post a Comment