Monday, June 11, 2012

Baptism of My Eight Year-old - June 2, 2012

June 2nd was my 8 year-old daughter's baptism.  This is a very special day in the life of a child that has been raised in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Children are baptized at the age of 8, because we believe at this age, children start really understanding the difference between right and wrong, and can be held accountable for choices they make.  We believe that we are will be punished for our own sins and not for Adam's transgression, therefore, we don't have children baptized at birth, or shortly thereafter.  We believe that they should be able to choose whether they want to be baptized or not.

My mother gave the talk on baptism at the baptism.  There were 2 other girls baptized the same day.  Mom made a ladder for each of them as a gift to remind them that it is steps that need to be taken to return to our Heavenly Father.  Everyone loved that.  I gave the opening prayer at the baptism.  My dad baptized her and my husband confirmed her a member of the Church.  A family member of the other two girls gave the talk on the Holy Ghost following the baptism.  It was a truly enjoyable talk he gave as well. 

After she was baptized, she changed into the dress that I was baptized in.  She felt like a princess.  It had the faded look that would happen after 30 yrs, so we didn't think it would be appropriate to be baptized in. 

Some of our friends made it to the baptism, and then we had a picnic at a park afterward.  It was so nice to get to visit with them.  It was wonderful to have my parents in town for this special occasion.

I loved seeing the happiness on my daughter's face.  After the baptism, my 4 year-old was telling everyone that his sister had been baptized.  When mom and I brought the two of them to the pool, he was even telling complete strangers.  He has been looking forward to being baptized since his big brother was.  He will be able to make that decision in under 4 years.




No comments:

Post a Comment