Thursday, June 21, 2012

First Love

I remember the first person I thought I was in love with... I thought we would be together forever.  I was 4, in preschool and thought he was the best thing that could have ever happened in my life.  Well, I might have thought that, I don't remember.  I do remember that I was "in love."  The lucky boy... well, he lived close by.  He was a neighborhood boy.  Why am I reminiscing....?

Well, it has recently come to my attention that one of my children has found a lucky someone.  The lucky person also lives close by.  My heart breaks knowing that this will likely not last forever, that I am going to end up having a sad child.  My husband and I have explained to the child that there is no dating until the age of 16, and then it is only double dating.  We expect this child not to be holding hands or kissing.  This can be no more than a friendship. 

As easy as it is to say these things and for the child to agree, from my own memories of my "first love," I know that it is something the child will always remember. I hope that when this child grows up that this "friendship" will be a good memory.  I hope that my child will be able to remember the wisdom that was gained and be able to pass it on to my grandchildren (that is still a long ways away!). 

I still remember the name of my first love, I have no idea where life has taken him.  I lost track of him when I (my parents and siblings) moved to New York from Houston.  I am so thankful for how things turned out.  I am thankful that as life went on, I was blessed to find my husband.  I am thankful for the blessing of my four children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment