Monday, August 26, 2013

First Day of School for My Two Oldest Children

My children were really excited last night as they fell to sleep, because they were going to be starting fourth grade and fifth grade today.  It is hard for me to believe that they could possibly be old enough to be in fourth and fifth grade now.  I can still remember dropping them off for their first days of preschool.  Where has the time gone?!



They had their baths last night.  I braided my daughter's hair so it would be curly this morning.  She likes it that way.  They picked out their clothes last night.  It makes life so much easier on me!  They brought me their clothes, but I didn't see socks.  I had them hunt down some socks so they would be completely ready.  Thank goodness, because the sock hunt never goes too well!  I don't know where they hide them, but they do a really good job!

My five year-old will be starting Kindergarten in a few days.  His Kindergarten assessment will be on Wednesday morning, when I drop off the older children.  He is really excited to be going to the same school as his big brother and big sister.  He was excited to go to orientation today.  



They had early-outs today.  They arrived home and both announced that they didn't have any homework.  My daughter did admit that she had to do 20 minutes of reading.  She set a timer and started to read.  She read well after the timer went off.  From where I was sitting, it looked like a comic book.  She loves to read, but it is usually not a comic book.  My daughter is excited that she starts getting homework tomorrow.


My oldest son just needed some paperwork signed for his homework.  He needs it signed so that he can get his netbook for school.  They have netbooks for the children to use in the classroom.  We just have to sign user agreements.

Both of the children have friends in their class.  My daughter has a friend from up the street and my son has a friend of church.  I am so excited that they started the day knowing someone.  It makes life so much easier.  I found out shortly after I started fourth grade that one of my friends lived on the next street over.  That made me happy.  I had close friends that lived across the street, but they went to Catholic school and I didn't.

The worse thing was needing to wake up my toddler in order to get everyone to school on time.  She wasn't very amused with needing to be woken up either.  It led to an early nap this afternoon, which is good.  I prefer early naps to late naps.  I usually have to wake her up after only half an hour if she takes a late nap, because I want to get to sleep at a decent time myself.  This is how my children looked as we got ready to walk out the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment