Thursday, August 8, 2013

Reasons I Miss Olean, NY

I have been thinking a lot of "home" lately.  There is a lot of nostalgia around City Cup Weekend.  For me, it is a time when we would all be together, enjoying some great ball games.  For many, many years, more than I can really remember, we would watch softball.  The City Cup pretty much was the end to softball for the season, so I would try to get as much softball as I could.

I would run into old friends that I hadn't seen in ages.  I would even be known to make some new acquaintances.  I miss those times with my family and my adopted brothers (the boys on my brother's softball team).

I miss Olean because that is where my memories are.  My good memories with my family and friends.    Even if I hadn't seen a friend in a long time, when I saw one, it was like very little time had past.  To me, that is a true friend.  Someone that realizes that even though time has passed, I still love them and I love to see them even though life gets in the way.  I like being able to pick up where we left off last as if not a day has passed.

I miss Olean and Allegany's Allegany River Nature Trail.  When I go out running now, I need to cross a road at every half mile, except for at the first half where this is an overpass for the traffic.  On the Nature Trail, I could run 3 miles without needing to cross a single road.  I think it was a lot safer.  It was easier to get a true look at the speed you were running.  It is kind of hard to do that when you need to stop for traffic every half mile.

I miss my Dad's barbecues.  He is the grill master.  I always looked forward to the summer so I could count on getting grilled food.  He would do chicken, burgers, hotdogs and Italian sausage.  We would occasionally have some steak. 


I am thankful that I was able to spend many years with my family in Western New York.  I wish I was still there, but sometimes our Heavenly Father has different plans for us.  I know this is where I am supposed to be, although there are times I would give my left arm to be at "home." 

To my City Cup playing family members, and those adopted brothers previously mentioned, Best of Luck!  I will be there in spirit and I hope to hear about your games.  Colette, that includes you :)  Love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment