Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I Fell Yesterday and Had an Amniocentesis Today...

Well, yesterday after I posted my blog, I had to pick up my oldest son and go to the dentist.  My youngest and I were walking to the school to pick him up.  There was a muddy incline between the apartments and the sidewalk, so I told my son to let me go first to make sure he didn't fall.  My intentions... get to the sidewalk and hold his hand while he came down.  What really happened... I put a foot down and immediately slipped and fell on my back and rear.  So, being the mom that I am, I got up, muddy back end and all, and continued walking to the school.  I didn't want to be late for the appointment.  My youngest said something to the effect, "You falled, Mommy.  Not me."  He made it down without incident while I was still laying there trying to collect myself. 

I got to the school, got my oldest son, and we walked back to the dentist office.  If we had the working car, this would have never happened, but neither here nor there.  We have a broken down car so I get to walk.  After getting to the dentist and getting his tooth filled.  We came home.  I called my doctor's office, whose nurse told me to go to the hospital to be monitored.  I called my husband, sobbing, telling him what I did.  He came home from work, drove me to the hospital and stayed for about an hour before he had to come home to make sure the kids had someone here when they arrived home. 

The baby is fine.  I am sore.  That is what matters.  I don't care about me, I care about her and her well being.  I would much rather feel this way than have any of my little ones feel this way.  Just a reminder... if you think something could make someone else fall, it is likely it can make you fall too!  I forgot such a thing...I thought I would be more stable than I was.  I wouldn't have risked hurting her, or myself, had I thought that would be the outcome. 

This morning I had an amniocentesis.  We are checking to see if the baby's lungs are mature yet.  If they are, she will be delivered shortly, if not, we will wait.  For those who have read some of my past blogs, I have a rare pregnancy rash (Pemphigoid Gestationis), which affects 1 in 50,000 pregnant women.  I have been on 40 mg of prednisone since July.  The rash has reappeared on my belly, it hurts and itches.   I feel that it is better for the little one to come out sooner, rather than later, so she isn't subjected to the medication any longer than necessary.   I also worry about the side effects of the rash on the baby.  I figure if she is healthy and her lungs are mature, she should probably come out, rather than risk the complications if suddenly the amniotic fluid gets low. 

After the amniocentesis, my 3 year-old and I had to go back up to the Labor and Delivery floor to have the baby monitored again for an hour.  She did just fine.  Everything still looks good for her.  We are now waiting for the results of the amniocentesis.  She could be born tonight or tomorrow if the tests show her lungs are fully mature.  If they are not mature, she will wait to be born until they are.  I am excited to meet the little one and hold her in my arms.  I wonder what she is going to look like.  I wish my family (all those in NY and WA) were going to be here to see her at birth.  That is the sad part to me, I don't know when a lot of them will meet her.  Thank goodness for Skype though!  I plan on introducing her as quickly as I can to them, via Skype.  What an amazing piece of technology!

I will introduce her to all my followers too, as soon as I get the time.  Don't be offended that I won't give her name, I do it, because perhaps, I am an over-protective mommy.  I don't want to have my little one's names out in public.  I will post pictures though.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and keep us in your thoughts and prayers for a healthy baby girl! 
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment