Sunday, October 2, 2011

Ogden's George Eccles Dinosaur Park

Yesterday my sister took us to the Dinosaur Park in Ogden, UT.  I didn't know what to expect when we got there.  I have to admit that I was very impressed with it though!  I have always been intrigued by dinosaurs.  In Washington DC, the only museum I really like is the Museum of Natural History, and that is because of the dinosaur exhibit, as well as the mammal exhibit.  As a child, I remember going to a museum in Houston, TX, that had dinosaur bones as well.  I have no idea what that museum is called. 

The kids, my husband and my sister seemed to be equally impressed with the dinosaur park.  We spent at least an hour walking around looking at the different sculptures.  I have to admit that the first thing I saw was what won my heart.  It was an exhibit that had a T-Rex and a momma Triceratops with two babies.  I loved the babies.  I would love to get a robotic one that size and let it run around my house.  It is the cutest thing I have seen that could be pet-like and non-allergenic.  There is a picture of my youngest in front of the baby triceratops. 


After wandering around inside for a little while, we headed outside to see what was out there.  They have several different dinosaurs outside.  My sister took several pictures of the different sculptures (I believe they are made of rock or cement, we aren't allowed to touch them.).  My children seemed frightened at first, they thought the dinosaurs were real.  I think they caught on after a little while that they weren't moving, therefore, they weren't real.  We didn't tell them one way or the other.  I think it would have taken away from the experience.

We found this dinosaur and we decided that it was probably the dinosaur that would be closest in height to the children.  The children wanted a picture in front of it to see.  Perhaps we will have to go back yearly until they are taller than that dinosaur.  I don't have any idea what kind of dinosaur this is. 

We continued on our way and found a rather hefty looking dinosaur.  My parents have a dog that resembled the dinosaur (minus the horns and the height).  My children promptly called it Duke (after my parent's dog) and we needed a picture with that dinosaur as well. 

It is a fun park to walk around in.  You don't know what will be around the next corner.  It is fun to see how life-like the dinosaurs are.  It was a fun time in the park and I look forward to going back. 

After the Dinosaur Park, we headed to the indoor playground for pizza.  The kids got to play for about an hour and a half and then we headed home.  It was a fun day for them.  I enjoy getting to go out and have fun with my children. 

My husband was able to attend the Priesthood Session of the Semi-Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints last night with a friend that lives here in UT, that had previously lived in NY where we did.  It was a wonderful time to go and listen to leaders of our Church.  This being General Conference Weekend, we have been able to listen to leaders of our Church for guidance and inspiration. 

I hope you all have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment