Saturday, October 29, 2011

Home Alone with the Baby

My mom has taken my 7 year-old daughter and 3 year-old son to see the Smurfs Movie.  My 8 year-old is hanging out with his dad, cousin and uncle, which leaves me here with some time to blog.  My newborn is sound asleep beside me. 

She has grown so much in the past 3 1/2 weeks.  It is hard to believe that she has been alive that long.  Here is a picture of her from a few days ago.  She has probably gained a pound since birth, she is doing good, and filling in her newborn outfits. 
 Her sister loves to walk around with her.  I get very tense and hold my breath, but remind myself that I was walking around with babies at that age also.  My mother remembers me carrying one of my sisters (who were 21 months younger than me) down the hall... I was 2.  I can't imagine her reaction to seeing that.  I don't let me 3 year-old stand up with the newborn.  Mom had no idea that I had gotten one of my little sisters until I was marching down the hallway with her.  They are twins and mom was tending to one of them and I guess I decided to help with the other.  Yes, they both managed to survive.

Her brothers love to hold her.  They hold her for a few minutes at a time, then they want to run around and do what little boys do.   Sometimes I give her to my 8 year-old and a few minutes later I look over and she is laying on the couch beside him while he is watching his sister play on the computer.  He is still making sure she is okay, she just isn't on his lap any longer.

I have loved to hold babies for as long as I can remember.  Holding a baby has always been soothing to me.  There is nothing like feeling the little stomach moving up and down as they breathe.  Hearing the little sounds they make as they sleep. 

On another note, my husband brought the 3 older children to a Halloween Party last night.  They all had a great time.  They got to play games, got popcorn and candy.  I had to convince my youngest son that he had to be the bumble bee again.  He tried on his older brother's Mario costume and though it was long, he was able to scrunch the legs up so it wouldn't be too long.  He wanted to be Mario in the worst way, but that would have left my older son without a costume.

It is weird to be in a quiet house.  I have grown accustomed to my children being around.  With a sleeping baby and all the children gone, there is no noise except for the sound of the television and my fingers on the keyboard. 

I am going to try to be better about blogging.  As I have mentioned before, this is the journal that I am keeping for my family, but I have fallen behind in the last few weeks.  Life is busy as a new mommy (again), but this is something I love to do, and I think it is important.  I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment