Friday, August 26, 2011

Another Delay = More Family Time :) Friday, Aug 19

This morning I woke up and gave my husband a call.  He wasn't awake yet because the alarm didn't go off when it should have.  It still gave him plenty of time to get ready and get out the door.

Mom made some blueberry pancakes and some chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast.  I had the blueberry pancakes.  I love the taste of pancakes with freshly picked blueberries.  I love just blueberries, I would eat some every time I passed by them.

I got a phone call around breakfast time from Roland telling me that the part that was supposed to be on the truck was not, and it would be Saturday or Tuesday before it would come in.  I was happy to get another day at home, but it was really cutting things close as I had an appointment in UT at 4 pm and my sister had one at 5 pm.  My dad did a lot of calling around to junkyards and dealers to see if they had the part.  None of them did, but one person told him that the part could be bypassed somehow (he told Dad how, but I can't tell you, because I have no mechanical abilities).   I called Roland and we decided that if the part didn't come in on Saturday, he would do the bypass, so either way I could head out Saturday afternoon.

We had been planning to have a yard sale at some time during the week.  It never happened, so with Saturday open, we ran an ad in the paper after I visited Susan's house to take inventory of what I still had there.  I decided to sell all the Tupperware for $5 per piece.  It would be easier to sell it and get a little extra money for the trip home and to help get things out of Susan's house.  After getting things looked through at Susan's we headed back to Mom's house.  Mom had to run a few errands, when she got home, her, Susan, Brenda and I went to the newspaper and had the ad put in for Saturday morning.  We then went to the grocery store and got chicken for Dad to grill and then headed home.

We brought the children swimming so Grandma could see how well they do.  They swam at the YMCA.  They swim so much better now than they did when we left NY.  Jim and Susan came and watched too. Susan's son went swimming with the kids. Bob showed up when we were planning to leave, so Mom and Jim told him and he left. The kids thoroughly enjoyed the swimming time.  My youngest didn't want to get out of the pool, it was actually a fight.

My brother had my two older children and I meet him at the mall in town.  He bought them each a new pair of shoes for school.  They love their shoes!  We always go to Payless ShoeSource, so they got some shoes that they usually would not have.  It was fun to watch them try the shoes on and run all over the store to make sure they fit and wouldn't cause blisters.  This store doesn't allow for returns once you wear them outside, so we were making sure that wouldn't be necessary.

After the shoe shopping, Jim had a softball game in the next town.  We had been having rain off and on, so I wasn't sure it was going to happen, but it did.  It even rained on the way over to the game, but it wasn't raining when we got there.  He played shortstop and did an excellent job.  His team won that game.  We headed home, and on the way home it started pouring rain.  It didn't let up for quite a while.  Dad was going to grill the chicken, but it was raining to hard, so they just tossed it in the oven.  It had been marinating in barbecue sauce.  It was absolutely delicious.  Mom had made a shrimp salad (shrimp, mayo and macaroni noodles) to go with it.  It was very good.

After dinner we just hung out and talked for awhile.  Around 8:30 pm the children decided to go upstairs and watch television.  Mom went up with them.  About 9 pm, Mom came downstairs to get a nighttime diaper for my youngest, this is the only time he wears diapers.  By the time she got back upstairs, he was apparently covered in blood.  She came downstairs saying to get a bandaid, and people were telling me not to come out.  I knew it was bad.  I am not good with blood, and being pregnant, no one wanting me around there.  He had sliced his finger open with a scoring tool for scrapbooking.  He was seeing how sharp it was.  Apparently it is very sharp.  Blood was everywhere, and he had wiped it on his face, behind his ears, and it was on his feet and his clothes.  I guess Mom was covered in blood too.

On the way to the hospital, my son was telling me, I said "Mom come up here, put it up high, and you didn't come.  I kept saying, Mommy, mommy, come here, and you didn't come."  Those were probably the saddest words I have ever heard.  I didn't hear him say a thing, and I told him if I had heard him, I would have been there.  Mom was only away for less than a minute to get the diaper.  She said when she got up there, he was speaking in a whisper.  She asked him if the bird had bit him, and he said no and showed her what he cut himself on.

We (Susan drove) headed to the hospital around 9:20 pm.  We were there until about 1:30 am.  I am thankful that Susan came too.  It would have been a very long night.  My son fell to sleep about 10:30 pm and was asleep until the doctor came in to do the stitches.  Susan kept me great company and it was wonderful to have that time to just visit with my little sister that I wouldn't have had otherwise.  I miss having my both of my sisters, my three brothers, and my parents around.

The doctor was very impressed with how well he did when he got the stitches in.  The only time he cried was when they gave him the shot of lidocaine to numb it.  He didn't really even cry, but he had tears streaming down his face.  I kept my face a few inches from him and talked to him the whole time, with my hand blocking any peripheral view I may catch a glimpse of.  I don't like stitches and I don't like blood.  He got 6 stitches (I thought they would just glue it shut)  in the his finger and I was told I had to keep it clean, with neosporin, and wrapped in gauze, to be changed twice daily.  The doctor praised him for how well he did and told him he could have a popsicle.  I am not sure it was a good idea that late at night, but nonetheless, he got a popsicle.  Thankfully he only wanted half of the twin stick popsicle. 

We headed home to Mom's.  When I got there, my daughter was awake and and my youngest was awake.  Jim, Bob, Colette  Susan's son and Mom were still awake also, waiting for a report on the little guy.  I gave my husband a call and let him know that our youngest needed 6 stitches, then I convinced all the kids that they should go to bed.  I started out planning to sleep downstairs, but then I brought my youngest up to the guestroom and we slept there, after my daughter fell asleep downstairs.  Everyone had left by the time we headed upstairs and I was more than exhausted. That was not the way that I planned to spend the last evening at home, and I am sure it wasn't his plan either.

No comments:

Post a Comment