Sunday, August 28, 2011

Will it ever cool down?

This is a frequent question, or variable of it, these days.  If it isn't me asking it, it is one of my children.  I guess I should have almost expected this, seeing how we moved to the desert and all, but I don't think that it has been below 90 here since the beginning of July.  We had snow when we woke up the morning of May 30, and if any of you remember, this was Memorial Day.  Who would think that Memorial Day would come with snow, it has never happened to me before, and I am hoping that it will never happen again!  I would like this state to find a happy medium, and settle somewhere in the low to mid 70s during the day for a while.  I certainly don't want to go straight from 90's back to snow.

My two older children play outside often.  They enjoy the time with their friends.  I know that it is good for them to be out there, but I can't imagine that it would be wonderful to be that hot for that long.  I make sure that they know they have to be staying hydrated.  In this sort of heat, it is not good to go long stretches of time without drinking.  I know as a child I was guilty of this though, because who wants to stop playing to take a few gulps of water.  I was never much of a water drinker til I was in my 20s and quite overweight... you know, the O word (obese).  It was at that time I did the protein diet, under a physician's direction, and I had to drink 1 1/2 gallons of water a day or bad things could happen.  Before that, I was big on any pop, but my favorite was Dr Pepper.  I haven't drank pop in 4 years now, not even a root beer float.

The children haven't been to the pool since we got back to town.  I don't think it would be fair to my youngest to have to watch the other children swim when he can't.  He got his stitches out on Friday, but the doctor said that we should wait another 5-7 days for swimming.  He didn't like the removal of the stitches, he took the placement of the stitches much better.  I am guessing that he will be swimming again by the end of the week.  I haven't had him out too much because I worry about him re-injuring his finger.  If he were to fall and try to catch himself with his hand, it could be pretty bad.  I feel bad that he doesn't get to run around much, but he has been over to feed the ducks several times.

I have mentioned in the past that I eat ice cream to cool off.  It is really my only defense these days as I am not going in the pool due to the rash caused by Pemphigoid Gestationis.  It is much better on the Prednisone, but you can still see the marks, and they look like bruises now.  My belly has started getting bad again, but I have decided not to increase the dosage, as suggested by my dermatologist.   It isn't so bad that I would want to add more to my system.  I hope that I can finish off my pregnancy at 40 mg, because this is a high dosage as it is.  We do have central AC, but it doesn't seem to be working too well.  I sweat most of the time.  The apartment complex is going to have someone come and take a look at our AC again.  I am hoping that will help me stay cool again.

What are some suggestions you all have for staying cool on the hot days?  It looks like we will be in the 90s during the day, through Wednesday, and then in the 80s for the remainder of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment