Friday, August 26, 2011

Wednesday, Aug 17...Where has the time gone?

The morning started the same, I woke up and gave my husband a call.  I like to make sure that the morning is going well and that he is up and around.  He insists that I don't have to, but I feel better knowing what is going on.

This would be the day that I would get the rest of the food that I have been hoping to eat while I was here.  This includes the best doughnuts in town, the best cookie in town (the Monster Cookie), and ice cream from the Twist and Shake.  I thought that if I was going to do this to my stomach, I should give it a day to recuperate before hitting the road.  I headed off to the store and got the doughnuts and the cookie.  I ate the cookie on the way home.  When I got home, I had my doughnut with a glass of milk.  As the children woke up, they got their doughnuts as well.  I think this was one of the few days that Grandma didn't have to make pancakes for breakfast.

After lunch, Jim, Colette, Chris, Bob, Brenda, Susan, my nephew and my nieces, my youngest son, and I went to the Twist and Shake.  I got a small tin roof sundae w/ reese's pieces.  The sundaes have shrunk tremendously since last year, much to my dismay.  The baby sized ice cream cone increased, it was huge.  My son made it very clear that he didn't want any sprinkles or nuts on his cone.  It made one of the other patrons laugh.  My son couldn't even it enough to get to the cone.  By the time he was finished trying, I had decided that the small sundae was big enough for me.  I threw away the rest of his cone.   While we were at the Twist N Shake, my oldest two children were enjoying some time with their friends from our previous apartment complex.

It was a beautiful day outside and we spent some time out on the swings in my parents' backyard, enjoying conversation.  Dad heated up the grill and grilled some Johnsonville 3 Cheese Chicken Italian Sausage.  It was absolutely delicious.  I had it with mayo, onions and cheese on a hotdog bun.   I sure miss grilled food in the summertime!  There was enough left over that we planned to have it for breakfast w/ eggs and potatoes the next morning.

After supper, we all went outside to watch the bats, which my children refer to as "bat birds."  It doesn't make a lot of sense that bats could be both something that you play baseball or softball with, as well as something that flies around at dusk making high-pitched sounds.  It has always been a pastime of ours to watch them.  That night one flew under the branches of the trees and got closer than we had ever been to them before.  There had been mosquitoes hovering overhead, but I think it took care of those quickly.  I have to admit that it was too close for comfort at that moment.  After that, it stayed its distance.  We spent a while out back talking before it got too dark and we decided to go in.  We watched some ballgames and then called it a night.



No comments:

Post a Comment