Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Broken Down Car

Well, I knew that things happen in threes, but I didn't want to say it out loud, so I didn't.  Last week, when I got to work and it had been burglarized was when I started thinking about it, since hours before our sleepwalking neighbor had been trying to get into our apartment again.  I figured that there was two down right there.  I hoped that it would only be two things.  Fast forward six to seven days... depending if the bad is when the car broke down or when the car shop called. 

Yesterday, I got a phone call at 4:15 pm.  It was my husband telling me that the car (2004 Chevy Aveo)  stopped running and he was on the side of the road (I-15).  My mind started running... I told him it sounded like either the alternator or the timing belt.  I asked him if he lost his power steering, he said he still had it when he was getting it to the side of the road.  I knew that if it was the alternator, he would have lost all power... no power steering, no power brakes (it has happened to me before).  I knew those kinds of things just make a car stop wherever it is.  I told him that we would be there shortly, he gave me very vague information about where he was, so I knew it would be interesting trying to find him.

We got into the van and headed down to the freeway.  I told the kids to watch across the freeway to see if they could see Daddy's car.  Of course, I was keeping an eye over there too.  The phone rang, it was my husband.  He had spoke to my dad who suggested that the fuel gauge may have gone out and he may have run out of gas, something that I had not thought of.  So, once I saw him on the side of the road, about 8 miles from home, I told him I was going to buy a gas can and some gas.  I think I can safely say that I have never bought a gas can, or filled one up.  So, I found out that a 2 gallon gas can at Chevron costs $14.05 with tax, then I bought $6 worth of gas.  I drove back to where my husband (it was easy to find since the traffic was going at a snails pace looking at the little blue car with the cop car in front of it).  We dumped the gas into the car and it wouldn't start.

I then got on the phone with AAA.  My plan is in NY, so they said they had to transfer me to UT.  As they did the transfer a tow truck pulled up in front of the car.  I told Keith that it was fast service.  Then I went and told the driver that I had AAA on the phone and asked if he was AAA approved.  He advised me that he was.  So, he called his dispatcher and told him what was going on, and started hooking up the car.  I told the guy I got transferred to what was going on and he gave me the service number to give the tow truck driver and off we went.

I followed Keith and the tow truck driver to the service station so we would know where it was at.  Well, this morning I got a phone call informing me that it was not the fuel pump.  It is the idler pulley that runs the timing belt broke, there is a 1% chance that it didn't damage valves.  The fix would either be have them fix all of the above or get a used engine installed.  When you hear those words, you know that it is not going to be a cheap, or even reasonable fix.  The baby will be born within the next two weeks, so we have made the decision...we will be selling the car.  I never liked the car anyway, but it is a good commuter car.  I am glad that we went and picked up the van last  month or we would have no vehicle.

Yesterday, after we got back from having the car towed, I made pork stir fry.  It was very good.  I used a frozen bag of veggies, leftover pork from the night before and rice.  Everyone added soy sauce... I added it for my youngest, because he seems to think that the rice should turn black with soy sauce, and then he doesn't eat it because it doesn't taste good.  I would have to agree!

After supper, we loaded the kids into the van and headed off to the indoor playground so my sister could watch her show.  It is really the only one that she cares about, so we thought that we could at least make sure it is quiet for that hour.  I enjoy getting to watch the children run around and play.  They enjoy the time getting to do that.  I am so grateful that I am their mother.

The kids have been in school for over a month now.  It is hard to believe that it has been that long.  They are doing well with what they are learning.  My daughter still loves to read and my son still loves math.  She doesn't like math and he doesn't like to read.  It is funny how they can be so opposite in that way!  It is hard to believe that in a couple of weeks is parent/teacher conference.  I look forward to meeting with teachers, but I am not sure if I will have the baby or be in the hospital or still pregnant.  My husband may get to be in charge of that this quarter.

Well, I hope that today goes well for everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment