Thursday, September 1, 2011

TV Time Has Changed...

Is it just me, or has being a mommy (or any adult around children a lot) changed anyone else's television viewing habits?  I used to be one that would watch Days of our Lives daily.  I started watching it in college and finished watching it the day my youngest son was born.  So, I watched it for a good 11 to 12 years.  Yes, I would miss episodes, but I could turn on the television and figure out whatever it was that I missed prior.

I used to watch the night-time lineups, the shows that wouldn't be appropriate for children to watch because of the adult content.  In college, I don't think I missed a single episode of Friends.  Now, I can't even tell you what shows are on what nights.  Although, I have to admit, I do watch Biggest Loser, and my sister got me watching Bones and NCIS during the final couple weeks of last season.  I will probably watch these when they start the new season.  I am also a huge sport's fan.  I will put it on ESPN to watch whatever is on, or whatever NFL, NBA, or MLB game is on.

Since having children, I have tuned into Nickelodeon, Disney, PBS Kids, and Cartoon Network (CN has only been recently for Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Johnny Test, for the most part).  I never had any desire to know about SpongeBob SquarePants, The Fairly OddParents, Phineas and Ferb, Ni-Hao Kailan, etc.  Those are just a few of the shows that are favorites among my children.   I never envisioned myself as actually sitting down and watching these shows and enjoying them.  I have even noticed that some of the episodes I will continue to watch, even if the children leave the room.

I enjoy having my children sitting around me as we watch cartoons.  There is nothing like hearing them laugh at the funny parts.  Hearing them laugh makes me laugh even if something wasn't funny to me.  It is amazing how hearing the laughter of a child can change your whole day!  It is fun to hear them discussing the cartoons with each other.  They discuss aspects of the shows I would have never even thought about again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment