Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Chicken Pox and Winter Storm Gandolf

"It looks like the Chicken Pox," is what I heard this morning when I brought my 5 year-old to the doctor.  Like most children, they are up-to-date with all their vaccinations.

I woke up with every intention of bringing my 5 year-old to school.  He made the announcement that his whole body itches.  I took a look and noticed some bumps that I haven't seen before.  Being a mother of the 2000s, I haven't seen the chicken pox since my younger siblings had them.  This has been a good 28 or 29 years.  I have seen pictures.  Probably back then, parents didn't have to bring their child to a doctor to be diagnosed.

My 1 year-old received her vaccination for MMR and varicella (Chicken Pox) yesterday.   I hope that it keeps her from getting them.  Since my 5 year-old has been vaccinated, the doctor said this should be an attenuated case, meaning he won't have very many spots, apparently.  He gave me the daily breakdown of what to expect.  Day one - rash, day two - bump, day three - bump with white spot on top, day four - ulcerated skin, day five - scab.  I will have to wait until all of them, and I am hoping there aren't a lot, get scabs, and then he will no longer be contagious.

I let his teacher know in case she needs to give a heads up to other parents.  I also let her know so they wouldn't be expecting him at school.  The doctor is having me give him Benadryl.  I thought it would knock him right out.  It has done the exact opposite.  He has all sorts of energy.  It is nice that he is not lethargic.  It make me sad when that happens to my children.

My sister has him convinced that he is going to grow feathers and lay an egg.  He is very excited about the idea of laying an egg.  He has been running around for about 10 minutes saying "You can't beat the chicken man."  It is quite cute.  I may have to get an egg and put it in his bed tomorrow after he wakes up so he can think he laid an egg.  We shall see!

On another note, we are getting slammed with snow today.  It is no fun.  It started right around 3 pm.  Tonight, at about 8 pm, my sister and I shoveled the snow.  She went out first, then I went out and finished.  There was at least 5 inches of new snow and it was still coming down.   My husband got out of work 1 hour early.  He got home at the same time he would have if he had left on time.  It took him 1 1/2 hours to make the 1/2 hour drive.  I am glad he took his time to be safe.

My 8 year-old daughter made me a delicious cup of hot chocolate when I came back inside.  She added whipped cream which made it even better than it would have been by itself.  It hit the spot.  It is so cold outside!  The day started at 42 degrees and it is 28 degrees now.  It is only going to continue to get colder.  Over the weekend, it is predicted to have lows in the negative temperatures, brrrrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment