Friday, January 4, 2013

The Smiles

It is amazing what a smile can do for you.  When I see the smiles on my childrens' faces, it makes my day.  Whether it is because they are happy or something funny was said, their smiles absolutely brighten my day.

I enjoy dinner time, when my children tell funny stories about their day.  They sit around and all smile and laugh with each other.  They enjoy hearing stories about their birth and the years since then.  They look at each other, sometimes in disbelief that something like what was mentioned actually happened.  There are other times when they remember when something happened and their smile gets even brighter.

I can remember wondering what each of their smiles would look like before they were born.  I never got it quite right, but they have amazing smiles.  My 5 year-old enjoys when I sit down and attempt to play DSi with him.  I really stink at it.  I am not really into those kinds of things.  Earlier today, he told me I stink at it, in so many words.  I pretended to cry.  He then told me he was kidding and got a big smile on his face.  He put it back to the first level and let me try again.  I beat level 1, it made him get a big smile, and he reaffirmed that he was kidding. 

It is amazing how big a toddler's smile can get.  When we pick her siblings up from school, her smile radiates in the room.  She absolutely loves each and every one of them.  She knows them by name, it seems.  I can ask her where one of them is, and she goes to that one.  She can't say very much yet, but she definitely knows everything that is being said.

I think it is important to take the time to enjoy the smile of the children.  Yes, they have their moments when there is anything but smiles.  I think those are the moments that it is most important to remember the smiles, and take a few deep breaths. 

I am thankful for all the little moments that might not always be remembered, but in the moment, they are important.  I am thankful for the smiles from strangers, that although they might not know it matters, it really does.  When I am having a bad day, getting a smile from someone that doesn't know what is going on can really perk up the spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment