Monday, January 28, 2013

The Midnight Wake Up Call

My one year-old daughter had a half hour nap yesterday.  That was it.  She usually takes a few naps a day, and for longer periods of time.  I wasn't surprised when she cuddled up to me and went to sleep at 8 pm.  The shock came at a few minutes before midnight when she woke up.  She wanted to play.  She wanted a whole lot of mommy time and mommy, who is me, was exhausted.  It took all I had to stay awake.  I found Sesame Street on TV.  They seem to have a marathon of Sesame Street on Sundays around midnight around here.  I never knew it until last night.  I am not one to stay awake to watch Sesame Street.  She enjoyed one episode.  It seems like it was about bullying.

We then got up and went upstairs into the bathroom.  She likes the bathroom.  She likes to open the doors under the sink and play with the drawers around it.  There are a lot of mirrors in the bathroom.  She loves mirrors.  She flirted with herself for a little while.

We came back downstairs.  We had been hanging out for an hour and a half at this point.  I was far beyond exhausted.  It didn't help much to know that morning would be arriving in a matter of a few hours.  I enjoyed every moment with her in middle of the night though.  She doesn't do this often, thankfully.  We played with my phone for a little while.  I let her play with the remote control buttons.  I changed her diaper.  I figured that since she was awake I might as well change it.  I usually wait until morning to change her, unless she wakes up in middle of the night.

She likes prayers.  She will randomly fold her arms.  I know that it means she wants to hear a prayer.  I often wonder if babies and toddlers pray.  I believe they remember being with their Heavenly Father.  I believe they miss that connection.  It wouldn't faze me to think that they pray to Him in their own language, whatever baby language may be.  I believe He understands what they are saying also.

She finally cuddled up to me and went to sleep at almost 2 am on the dot.  I was asleep within minutes of her falling to sleep.

We had a freezing rain storm on Thursday, so essentially, it was an ice storm.  When I went to pick up my children after school, there were kids falling down left and right.  I didn't really understand why they didn't close school, but apparently they have never had such a phenomenon around her.  I think they might cancel it next time.

I literally slid my baby's car seat on the ground to the front doors of the school.  It slid easily on the ice.  There was no effort needed.  I didn't want to fall carrying her and her car seat served as a bit of a crutch.  I spent 1 1/2 hours getting the ice off of our driveway.  It was about 1/8 inch thick and very slick.

I have been limiting my time online lately.  If I don't want the children spending so much time online, I figure I need to lead by example.  Well, the baby is resting now, I am going to see if I can join her.

No comments:

Post a Comment