Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hard to Say Goodbye

Yesterday my three oldest children went on an adventure with their Aunt Brenda and cousin.  They went to Wyoming to bring their cousin back to his parents after he visited us for a week.  It was a wonderful week they got to spend together.  There was a lot of playing and running, and I didn't have to worry about them bothering the downstairs neighbors with all the noise, since we no longer have downstairs neighbors.  Sometimes I forget we don't have downstairs neighbors anymore and I tell them they have to be quiet.

My youngest wasn't originally going to go with them on the trip.  I worry how he will do without me.  I recalled earlier yesterday, how sad he was when his brother left to come out here with Grandpa, Uncles Jim and Bob.  My daughter drove out with her Aunt Susan.  They drove out here and my two younger children and myself flew home.  When it was time to say goodbye to his brother, my youngest son cried and cried.  He wanted, with all of his heart, to go with him.  He kept repeating, "I am going to miss Caleb, I am going to miss my brother, I want to go with him."  Tears streaming down his face. 

I wanted them to be together, but I worried that they would get several hundred miles away and he would want me and there would be nothing anyone could do to fix it. I don't think that would have happened.  He has always been one for adventure.  There is the off chance though that it would have.  Yesterday, as I remembered that scene in Erie, I sent my sister a note and told her that I was going to pack him a bag, just in case it happened again. 

When it was time for them to get going, my sister said goodbye to him.  He said he was going with her.  I told him that he was going to stay home with me.  He had that sad/hurt look on his face.  He really wanted to go on this adventure.  I couldn't hold him back this time.  The furthest away he would be is 4 1/2 hours.  If worse came to worse, I would make that trip and get him.  The only reason I didn't go this time is that I am not sure my van would make those mountain passes.   It has a hard time on hills, and those would be mountains.

As they got ready to leave, I told them each I love them, gave them hug and kiss, and waved and blew kisses.  My youngest son wanted to tell me something, and I couldn't hear him.  I got close to the car, and he said to me "I love you and I will miss you," I said it back and away they went, I watched them get to the corner.  I watched my sister get out of the car and check her tire, then get back into the car and drive away.  Then I came inside, I saw the older children's suitcase sitting on the floor.  I called them.  They came back and got it, took a potty break, and headed off.  I gave them each another kiss and waved goodbye.  My heart broke as they drove away. 

Goodbyes are hard for everyone.  I always look forward to getting together again.  Saying goodbye to family and friends has always been difficult for me, but I know that my family knows that I love them no matter where we are.  I hope my friends know that as well.  Getting together again is always the most joyful of reunions.

No comments:

Post a Comment