Thursday, August 9, 2012

How Old ARE You?

I went to Wal-Mart today, it isn't an unusual occurrence in my life.  In fact, I have been doing that quite regularly since my move.  I need to buy things that didn't make the packing cut, or things that I need that I have no clue where to find.  Of course, I find it shortly after purchasing a duplicate.

Well, today's trip consisted of a high chair, some fruits and vegetables, some washcloths, a bath rug, a bath towel, and a few other odds and ends.  My two daughters and my sister joined me for the shopping trip.  My ten month-old was in her car seat, which rested on the part of the cart where children usually sit.  My 8 year-old was wondering around trying to find something at the checkout stand to buy. 

I was minding my own business, talking to my baby girl and my sister.  The female cashier asked me how old the baby was.  I answered her truthfully.  She then asked me, "How old ARE you?"  Once again, I answered truthfully, saying I am 38.  The line of questions began...  I didn't know where the questions were coming from, or what the purpose was.  I would guess the cashier was early to mid-twenties.

The next question was, "So, did you wait until you were older to have children?"  To which I answered, "I waited until I was married, I didn't get married until I was 27, then I had my first baby when I was 29." 

The following question, "How many children do you have?"  To which I answered, "I have four children, two boys, two girls."

Then she volunteered that she had her first baby when she was 19 and that she has 2 daughters, her baby will be 5 months soon.  She said that in some ways it is smart to wait until you are older to have children, because we know what is going on.  I'm not sure I know what is going on all the time, but I know that I know more than when I was younger, so I agreed. 

After I finished paying for all my stuff, I was kind of dumbfounded.  I think that what I learned is that I should always expect the unexpected.  The cashier was being friendly, in her own way.  I could not imagine carrying on that line of questions with a stranger. 

The other thing I have always known, is that I am proud of my age and getting older.  I have always said that it beats the alternative!

No comments:

Post a Comment