Monday, January 30, 2012

A Scary Morning

This morning my baby woke up at about 7:45 am making a high-pitched screeching cry.  Then she stopped and started flailing her arms and put her head back.  She did it again.  I didn't know what was going on, as I had never seen anything like this in my life.  It scared me half to death.  I called 9-1-1.  I was trying to maintain my composure the best that I could.  The first thing that asked was my address and then the emergency.  I told them that my baby seemed to be having seizures.  To me, that is what it seemed like.  They had me make sure she was breathing and then told me what to do if it happened again.  They also told me to lay her on her side.  So I did.  It didn't happen again, thankfully.

While I was on the phone with the dispatcher, I had my son say a prayer.  I don't know what he said, because I was on the phone, but I know it helped.  My 7 year-old daughter heard me on the phone and she started crying.  The crying woke up my 4 year-old.  Everyone was awake by the time the EMT's got here.  The EMT's got here quite quickly, I would say within 5 minutes. 

My sister and my husband had already left for work.  I had my daughter call my sister.  She got the voice mail.  I sent my sister a text.  She didn't see it until she had gotten on the bus.  She called immediately.  When she got to work, she told them what was going on, and then came home.  I couldn't get a hold of my husband.  I don't have a direct line to him.

Anyway, the EMT's evaluated her.  They took her medical history (she doesn't have one).  They took her pulse, approximately 124 beats per minute.  They took her temperature and said 95.3.  I couldn't believe that!  I asked if that was normal because they didn't seem alarmed at all.  They said that their thermometer is 1 to 2 degrees off.  That made more sense to me.  I couldn't figure out how she could possible have such a low temperature.  I am glad I asked!  One of their first questions was also if she was always this pale.  I told them that all of us are quite white.  They looked over at my 4 year-old and understood what I meant.

They spent a good 10 or 15 minutes here.  The baby had woken up and was responding well.  The EMT's said that she didn't look like there was any problem.  They told me to call the pediatrician and get her evaluated there.  This was after assuring me that everything looked fine and asking if I still wanted her to go the hospital.  I told them that if they were sure she would be okay, I trusted them.  I called the doctor at 9 am and got an appointment for 10:45 am.

At the doctor's office, I explained what happened.  She asked about yesterday, and I told her that she seemed like she was in pain yesterday, maybe a stomach ache.  I had my sister hold the baby on her my sister's arm, belly down.  It seemed to ease the pain.  The doctor said that when a baby has seizures, they don't vocalize pain.  It just happens, then it is over.  She said that most likely the baby has acid reflux which can be quite painful.  This would explain the flailing and crying.  That put my mind at ease.  She also showed me some techniques to help out with gas and stomach pain. 

The doctor will call me on Friday to see what I think as far as the acid reflux.  I am supposed to watch for spitting up or pain when put on her back.  She doesn't seem to like to be on her back, which would explain a lot.  I am just so thankful for EMT's and a doctor that knows what is going on! 

The baby is resting peacefully now.  She is sound asleep on my stomach. I am so thankful that she is okay.  She gave me quite the scare this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment