Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Slinkies

My 8 year-old brought a slinky home from a party on Saturday.  It immediately became the big toy in the house.  My 4 year-old was crying because he didn't get one.  He didn't get one because he didn't go to the party.  He didn't go to the party because he wasn't invited.  My daughter didn't go either, since she wasn't invited.

This caused me to have to go on amazon.com and buy another slinky.  We found one that glows in the dark.  Since I have an Amazon Mom account, the slinky got here yesterday.  It wasn't a day too soon.  The slinky my 8 year-old got on Saturday was already tangled up.  My kids were playing slingshot with it.  I never played slingshot with my slinky.  I played jump rope with it, which tangled it up just as well.

My 4 year-old was very thrilled with his slinky.  He showed me how he was going to play with it.  He put one side in each hand and just wiggled it back and forth by moving his hands up and down.  That slinky lasted a day.  It would probably still be safe except for my older children got a hold of it.  While I was getting my son from school, my daughter decided to stretch it out and start twisting it around.  By the time I saw her and the slinky, the slinky was broken.  I thought she was kidding.  She wasn't.

My son was sad. I was able to unwrap about 1/3 of it and then cut it off with my Cutco scissors.  He got it and put one side on each hand and announced that it wasn't big.  I then got to continue to try to unwrap the other 2/3 of the slinky.  I managed to do it well enough that it made him happy.  I then taped the two halves together.

I think for now it is still intact.  I need to figure out a way to make them stick together better.  It is amazing how a little slinky can amuse so many children.

I know of things that shouldn't be done to slinkies if you want them to last.... do not play jump rope with it, do not play slingshot with it, do not stretch it out and then start twirling it.  Those things made the slinky owner sad!

No comments:

Post a Comment